Sunday, April 19, 2009

Good-Bye Yoda

Bill and I are in Anchorage at the Alaska state lectureships. On Saturday morning our friend Lee called us and told us that Yoda had been hit by a car. He was still alive, but noticeably injured. He wasn't in the best of health anyway. And any injuries he obtained would take a long time to heal, even if they could be repaired. Yoda would be in too much pain for us to bear. So we decided to have him put to sleep. Bill and I were/are both pretty upset about it. Lee was so nice to take care of everything for us.
When we left on Wednesday, we didn't know it would be the last time we'd say good-bye to Yoda. Bill and I got Yoda almost 6 years ago, about a year after we'd been married. He quickly became part of our little family. We've had many memories together.

Every time I would leave the house I would say to Yoda, "Bye-bye Yoda. Be a good boy." And he would always look at me like he knew exactly what to do. And, generally, he would be a good boy. When we would come home, he would be so excited - dancing around on the floor, tail wagging, and he'd be so excited that his body would curve into a 'C'.

When we brought Marie home from the hospital, Yoda was very curious about this new little thing. He sniffed her out. And then he followed whoever was holding Marie around everywhere. After those first few days, he pretended like she didn't exist. Silly dog - scared of a baby!

Yoda loved to perch himself on our furniture. I think he thought it made him human. Just this past Monday night at the Ladies' Bible study, he was right there on the couch with us. I thought how funny it was that he was sitting in on our ladies' class.

Yoda loved to look out the window and watch what went on outside. He knew every bird that flew into the yard and every person or car that passed by. He particularly enjoyed 'viciously' growling at all the school children as they passed our house on the way home from school.


Yoda loved just being with me and Bill. It didn't matter where we were going or what we were doing, we were sure to know that Yoda wasn't far behind.

We sure do love Yoda and will miss him a lot. We thank God for blessing us with him and for giving us many happy memories.

Bye-bye Yoda. Be a good boy.


(From Bill)
I just wanted to add that Yoda loved going for rides in the car. When we moved up to Alaska, Amanda had went on ahead and my riding companion for the 10 day journey was Yoda. He loved to travel with us. I know you would have loved to come back to the Wasilla area with us on this trip, but wherever we go, you are in our hearts. We sure did love you.

5 comments:

Hattie said...

Amanda and Bill,
I am sad and so sorry for your loss of Yoda. I know you loved him alot.

Love & hugs,
Mom

Janet said...

I'm sorry that you have lost your pet and companion.
May your memories comfort you.
Janet

Amy said...

Amanda and Bill,

I'm so sorry to hear that Yoda is gone. I remember him dancing-it seemed like he could stand on his hind legs for a long time! He was always a good boy when ya'll brought him to TN...always at home wherever ya'll were.

Love ya'll

Dana Wyatt said...

We love you guys! I liked reading about your memories of Yoda. I know that he will be missed.

Unknown said...

We are very sorry to hear that Yoda is no longer with us. We loved having him come over to our house and play with the kids. He will be missed for sure. Jeff and Beth