Friday, June 17, 2011

The Bird's Nest

A few weeks ago when I was watering my flower baskets, I came across this bird's nest. Since it had no eggs in it, we went ahead and took it out thinking the bird would build somewhere else.




Marie liked seeing what a bird's house looked like.




Well, the next week when I went to water the basket, the bird had returned. She hastily tried to build a nest but must not have had enough time before she had to lay her eggs. So now there are 5 little eggs in a sparce nest in the flower basket. I definitely didn't want to remove the eggs. So I went to the place I bought the basket and asked them what I should do. They said to water around the eggs and they should be fine. It's been almost 2 weeks and I think they should be hatching soon. I've tried not to bother the basket too much. It's only needed watering once, but is due for another watering soon. Hopefully a couple of weeks after they hatch, they will be ready to fly away and I can resume my normal watering and dead-heading. The basket has done fine, but I worry about the eggs since they don't really have much of a nest.




Here is the best picture I could get of the mama bird. She is on the branch near the middle of the picture. Okay bird lovers - tell me what kind of bird it is. A finch maybe?


No comments: