Tuesday, September 8, 2009

Taku Trip

Most of you know that I started working again part-time. I've been with the Hospice and Home Care of Juneau since May. Recently, someone donated 10 tickets to our agency for us to go to the Taku Lodge. The trip was amazing and the weather was perfect! We flew on a big float plane that seats 10 passengers. The ride was a little rough at the beginning because the wind had picked up. The flight to the lodge took about 30 minutes. During this time, we listened to an automated tour on individual head-sets. The view below was beautiful! We could see Juneau beneath us, but that quickly turned into an ice field with several prominent glaciers and lots of mountain peaks. When we arrived at the Taku Lodge, I soon realized that this was unlike any tourist place I had been to in Alaska. Usually, tourists are crowded in around you and it is sometimes difficult to have peace. The lodge sits on a big spread of land. There are numerous trails and outlooks to sit at. You can enjoy the beauty of God's creation and easily forget that there are people around. The Taku Lodge itself is a rustic restaurant that can hold between 40-50 people. Therefore, there is ample space for everyone to disperse themselves along the grounds and soak in the scenery in almost a secluded manner.
Well, enough rambling on. Let's get to some pictures!


Here are about 2/3's of my co-workers. They really are a great group of people. And I work with several Christians. While I loved my job as a nurse at AK Regional, working with Christians can make quite an impact on the overall mood of the workplace. Arna, the lady in the back 2nd from the right, is retiring. We used this trip as a little retirement party for her. She has a lot of experience in Home Care. Even though I've only known her a few months, I will miss her a lot!


Isn't he the cutest little puppy? Too bad there was a sign that said 'Please don't touch the puppies'.


Several of us went on a little guided walk after lunch. There were perfectly ripe blueberries everywhere! If I had known, I would have brought some storage containers and brought some home. I thought these trees looked a little creepy with all the moss growing on the branches. Good thing it wasn't dark or I would have really been scared!


Here is a picture of the Taku Glacier itself.



I thought this was a neat picture - the American flag and the Alaska State flag with the very Alaskan background of mountains, water, trees, and brush.

(Those of you who follow our blog - I've been playing catch-up and have posted several blogs before this one. So be sure to look at the older posts.)


2 comments:

Katie said...

I'm so glad that ya'll are getting out and enjoying the area. Thank you so much for the baby presents. I will be sending you a card soon. Miss You!

tundrarose said...

Sounds like you had a wonderful time. Taku is a really beautiful place. Miss you.